Magnificent Meghan

Magnificent Meghan
The attempt to chronicle the life and times of the Magnificent Meghan

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Balloon excitement

There is no way that I can write this in a way to make it as funny as it actually was, but I will try my best....here goes...

Meg got a balloon last night at the fair. This morning, she untied the string around it so the helium started to come out and it was floating up towards the ceiling. I jumped up and grabbed it, squeezed the end shut and handed it back to her. She then put it up to her mouth to try to blow it back up (she is, or was, completely clueless about helium) but the helium came back in her face just as I was just getting ready to say, "Don't suck in that air." I realized she had gotten a pretty good whiff of it, so I asked her to say something. She says, "Mommy, I love you" and it was in that total squeaky-helium voice. Well, she was totally shocked by this and had no clue what had happened and needless to say, it scared the sh*t out of her! Her eyes got as round as half dollars as if to say "what the hell just happened to me????" and then she just buried her head into the couch and started wailing. I couldn't help but laugh, but I was also explaining that the air that makes a balloon float will make your voice sound goofy for just a short time. She didn't hear any of it and continued to wail. (I will admit that I continued to laugh and this was a pretty funny thing to happen.) This went on for at least five minutes, my laughing ceased before the five minutes though. ;) She finally got calmed down and I got her to speak again and she was very relieved to have her own voice back! I had to attempt to answer about 300-400 questions about what had happened and why, but at the end of it, she thought it was pretty funny too and as most kids do, she wanted to do it again a little while later. Too bad we only had one balloon.....

No comments: