Magnificent Meghan

Magnificent Meghan
The attempt to chronicle the life and times of the Magnificent Meghan

Monday, February 16, 2009

Sugar Buzz!

What a day it's been! I picked up a very perky Meg at the sitter's today. She said she'd been like that most of the day and even the teacher commented on what a good day she had. I'm quite relieved that she's feeling all better now! :) She brought home a paper sack full of Valentine's from her classmates today that she was ever so proud of. She carefully opened and examined each one calling out who it was from with so much excitement I thought she might burst! Some even had candy attached that immediately had to be opened and sampled (beginning of the sugar buzz.)

She was also a-buzz with her first official classmate birthday party invitation. It's a party with a clown, magic show and face painting. (WOW! Guess the little girl's parents aren't struggling financially like the rest of us in America....that or maybe they've already got their share of Obama's economic recovery plan ahead of everyone else??? HA!) I feel like such a prudish, over-protective mother, but I kept scanning the invitation over and over to see if it mentioned anything about parents being welcome to stay. I didn't see it. How can I just drop my child off at some stranger's house and be ok with that? This is why she MUST attend elementary school where I teach. I will either know the scoop or being able to find it out very quickly. I suppose I'll call the mom, speak with her, get fingerprints, background checks, then sit on their front doorstep for the entire hour and half the party goes on just to make sure my baby is safe. OK...maybe that's going a little too far.....We'll see! :)

Back to the sugar buzz...tonight was Grammy's (Greg's mom) birthday. We took the entire gang to Ponderosa for a couple of reasons. 1) It's afforable when you are feeding a gaggle of people. 2) The kids can eat whatever the heck they want and will be happy about it. 3) Ice cream machine...need I say more? My grandpa joined us along with Greg's brother, fiance and their two children. In all the chaos of getting everything and everyone organized and situated, Meg ended up convincing Greg to get her a Pepsi, a la caffeine. She also ended up with 3 bowls of ice cream, which she licked (and yes, I do mean LICKED!) totally clean.

By the time we got home she was literally hopping like a rabbit and her mouth was blabbering about 3,000 miles per second. She got in the shower and was acting bizarre noticing every little detail. "Mommy, did you get a new leg shaver?" followed right after by "What's on the other side of this wall?" When I told her it was the pantry, she started yelling hello very loudly to all the food in the pantry. She suddenly stopped that and was suddenly asking when she was going to get to go visit her goat. We read our books like usual, and I even picked out a longer one, hoping the buzz would wear off and she'd crash. No such luck. She's already been up once, and has climbed up and jumped over the back of the couch. With the threat of no television or computer tomorrow she's back in bed and will hopefully stay there. She's relatively quiet though, although I'm hearing a constant whisper. Lord only knows what she's talking about now. Me? I drank water and limited myself to one small bowl of ice cream, so I don't have near the sugar buzz she does, so I'm off to bed after finishing up just a little bit of my homework. All in all.....a fun day! I'd take a day with a wacky, sugar buzzing kid anytime over the sick, puny one I had last week.

No comments: